Wednesday, Thursday, Friday
1. Hall & Oates sings the perfect soundtrack for a sleepy afternoon. Fleetwood Mac on vinyl blasts through dinner. “Rumors” is a perfect album.
2. The cancellation of the writing workshop goes unexplained. To make my uptown jaunt seem less inconveniencing I waif my way through the magazines, trying to find one that’s “me.” I can’t. Marie Claire is too fussy; Cosmo, too dumb; Oprah, too soccer mom. I feel at home with men’s magazines. They provide the blunt delivery that real friends should and don’t feature a vocabulary threaded with “BFF,” “perfect” or “accessorize.” I appreciate that.
3. I can’t imagine a world without Frosted Flakes.
4. The large pool of vomit on the train platform is not so much disgusting as it is impressive. The physics of that barf are surely something to behold.
5. I like my city full of troubadours. I like my trains full of library-appropriate volumes. New York musicians seemed to have misplaced my memo en masse.
9:53 pm • 22 January 2010
Central Park at Eleven
It’s unsettling to watch the children of New York when you finally realize that not only are they more refined, better dressed, and already wield an allowance close to my own income – but that they’re more in tune and relaxed with this City than perhaps I’ll ever be simply because they are home. Meanwhile my corner of New York still feels like an unfinished Play Doh creation.
I’m sculpting. I’m mashing. It’s not right yet.
6:16 pm • 18 January 2010
colin firth/colin farrell
6:07 pm • 17 January 2010
In the office kitchen
Bag of Jim Beam sunflower seeds. Box of Jolt Energy Mints.
4:24 pm • 15 January 2010
“I have no regret over calling Greenspan a political hack. Because he was. The things you heard me say about George Bush? You never heard me apologize about any of them. Because he was. What was I supposed to say? I called him a liar twice. Because he lied to me twice.”
New York Times Magazine profile of Harry Reid
9:47 pm • 13 January 2010
"How do you think I got so much tail at church camp?"
12:12 pm • 13 January 2010